Focaccia is our favorite yeast bread to make at home. Focaccia bread can be topped with anything: olives, caramelized onions, herbs, sun-dried tomatoes or peppers. Today, I am sharing a simple focaccia bread recipe. It has a crisp outside and soft inside, and is perfect to serve with dinner, soups, stews, or even sliced in half and used for sandwiches.
For the dough
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp Instant yeast/active dried yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
For the Topping
- onion sliced
- Black olive sliced
- Bell Pepper/Capsicum sliced
- Italian seasoning or finely chopped fresh herbs
- olive oil
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour the water into it and bind it into a sticky dough. Now you will see the dough leave your hands and become smooth. Knead for 10 minutes more till nice and elastic.
- Grease a bowl with Oil and put the kneaded dough into the bowl.
- Cover and place in a warm place till risen and doubled in volume.
- Punch dough and place on a greased 9×13 baking tray. Using your fingers, push and press the dough from center to out into a rectangle.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and leave to rise for another 30 to 40 minutes.
- With the fingertips, dimple the top of each focaccia. Drizzle olive oil over the top. Sprinkle herbs and press down tomato, olive and pepper slices / halves evenly across the top. Let it sit for 15 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. or 374 Fahrenheit
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until brown.
- Cool on the rack.